Statistics show that 24 million Americans have autoimmune diseases. There are plenty of genetic and environmental factors that can affect your immunity. At Jacksonville Health & Wellness Center, we examine the physical and non-physical components that influence your gene expression to find out what may be responsible for your autoimmune issues. This functional medicine approach is achieved through DNA tests, urine tests, and physical examination
Common Autoimmune Disorders
Autoimmune disorders affect different systems and organs of your body. Here are a few of the most notable autoimmune conditions addressed by our functional medicine practitioner:
- Graves' Disease: This autoimmune condition affects the thyroid glands, and the symptoms include diarrhea, anxiety, and weight loss
- Scleroderma: This condition affects the skin, and a notable characteristic is the thickening of the skin.
- Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: This autoimmune condition affects your body's connective tissues and can affect different organ systems of your body. Symptoms include facial rash, weight loss, fever, and joint inflammation.
Diagnosing Autoimmune Disorders
When you visit our clinic for autoimmune disease diagnosis, we will ask you about your family history of autoimmune disorders. Our functional medicine practitioner will then perform different tests to determine whether or not you have an autoimmune disease.
- Blood Test: Running blood tests help our functional medicine practitioner to determine whether you have the correct levels of immunoglobulin (infection-fighting protein) in your blood. If we detect an abnormal number of particular cells, it may an indication of an immune system defect.
- Prenatal Testing: If one of your children has an autoimmune disorder, we will request you to take a prenatal test. Our doctor will then take blood and amniotic fluid samples from tissues that become the placenta and test them for abnormalities during such tests. This will determine whether or not your child will have autoimmune problems.
We always take a holistic approach when treating autoimmune conditions. This involves treating the underlying causes of an immune problem, boosting the immune system, and preventing infections.
- Managing infections: To prevent autoimmune infection, we sometimes prescribe antibiotics to prevent permanent lung damage.
- Boosting the Immune System: Immunoglobulin therapy is a holistic medicine treatment approach that boosts your immune system. Immunoglobulin features antibody-protein needed to fight infection and can be injected underneath the skin or administered via IV. Interferon-gamma therapy is another option, which boosts your body’s production of virus-fighting substances. It is particularly effective for treating chronic granulomatous conditions.
Ease Your Autoimmune Disorder with Our Holistic Medicine Approach
If you are interested in a holistic approach to autoimmunity, our functional medicine practitioner at Jacksonville Health & Wellness is ready to assist you. For more information or to schedule an appointment, call us at (904) 268-6568.